Eligibility Extension for Active Participants Who Lose Eligibility Due to the COVID-19 Crisis
If you are an Active Participant and you lose eligibility for health coverage because you can’t work or you have had to reduce your hours as a result of the COVID-19 crisis, you may qualify for Extended Eligibility due to COVID-19.
To qualify for this eligibility extension, you must satisfy both of the following:
(1) collect Unemployment Insurance (“UI”) or State Disability Insurance (“SDI”) or, in some circumstances, Paid Family Leave; and
(2) your loss of eligibility must result from the COVID-19 crisis. Here are reasons that a loss of eligibility may be considered the result of the COVID-19 crisis for purposes of this extension. (i) you’re under a quarantine or isolation order; (ii) your health care provider has recommended you self-quarantine; (iii) you’re experiencing coronavirus symptoms and are seeking medical advice; (iv) you’re caring for someone who is quarantined; or (v) you’re caring for a child whose school or care facility is closed or whose childcare provider is unavailable because of coronavirus precautions.
Currently, this special eligibility extension is available through the work month of August 31, 2020, providing benefit eligibility through October 31, 2020.
If you have already been approved for this eligibility extension, no action is necessary on your part. If not, to receive the benefits extension, you must provide the Fund Office with:
· an “Application for Reinstatement of Eligibility for Leave or Hours Reduction Due to COVID-19.” This application is available on the website at scufcwfunds.com.
· a copy of the approval letter, showing that you have been approved for UI or SDI (or Paid Family Leave). If your approval letter does not state that the reason for approval is due to COVID-19, you will need to provide additional supporting documentation to establish that your loss of eligibility was caused by one of the COVID-19 related reasons described above.
· contributions to premium, paid directly to the Fund office, since they are not being deducted from your paycheck:
Please contact the Fund Office if you have questions regarding eligibility status. You can submit an Application and Unemployment Insurance or SDI approval letter at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 877-284-2320.
The Insurance Department telephone line is open
Monday thru Friday 8:30 AM to 4 PM.